Thursday, September 16, 2010

Meet & Greet Session 1 Ward 3

While I did meet many of the candidates, either by a quick hello or shaking hands
At least one of the regional candidates appeared to be missing
Perhaps he made his presence unknown, at least to me
As a kind and considerate person I offered good luck to all I saw
And many were equally kind to offer it back
One resident, though associated with a Ward 3 candidate
Has questioned how Regional level councillors get voted in.
He feels either we pick one, and three get in, or we determine a choice method
1st, 2nd, and 3rd votes
Most 1st votes is 1st candidate
Most 1st and 2nd after that is 2nd candidate
Most 1st and 2nd and 3rd after that is 3rd candidate
He also was at issue with how the regional candidate with most votes
Should not consider themseleves as a Deputy Mayor
I agree that may be crossing the line
As the term is technically only Acting Mayor, during Mayor's absense.
Another resident thought I was part of a certain religious community
It was probably my nose
But sorry to say I am not of that community but I'm sure they are upstanding folk.
The incumbents all showed up much later than the designated time
Having representatives in their stead until  they could arrive much later
Sons, husbands
At least they shook hands, and one gave donuts
But one of the few citizens who actually acknowledged me,
(As many were standoffish picking their favorites and ignoring others)
Asked WHY am I running?
Straight forward answer: I'm tired of pedestrians dieing in our streets, preventable deaths, all of them.
No matter whose fault is claimed, they are not "accidents" they are cause and effect.
Running that red light, answering your phone, trying to beat the countdown, catch the bus
None of that will matter if you are dead 2 seconds later
Is that 2 seconds worth your life? Anyone's life?
If waiting is, I would wait, I prefer to be alive, you need this desire to live to prevent these things.
Why am I running?
I want my kids, and everyone else's to have a future, to not have it taken away by a motorist on a phone.
Our society wants everything fast, quick, now, but if you don't slow down
You miss the important things in life
People

No comments:

Post a Comment